Patrick’s research investigates new possibilities for architectural design in large-scale 3D printing with porous materials. This involves the invention of new fabrication technologies together with material experts and the development of computational design instruments.
After studying architecture at HTWK Leipzig and TU Delft, he gained experience internationally in offices such as Zaha Hadid (London), Delugan Meissl (Vienna) and Henn (Berlin, Beijing). Patrick lectured and tutored workshops in architectural schools throughout Europe (ETH Zurich, TU Delft, TU Berlin, Politecnico di Milano).
Currently, he is a PhD researcher at the chair for Digital Building Technologies (dbt), Institute of Technology In Architecture (ITA) at the Department of Architecture (D-ARCH) of ETH Zurich.
The novel field of foam 3D printing (F3DP) in construction allows to combine the advantages of differentiated material properties with the simplicity of monolithic building systems. This research investigates applications for innovative architectural elements that are lightweight, thermo-structural efficient, and exploring new material expressions.
Role in the NCCR Digital Fabrication
Large-scale 3D Printing of Sustainable Mineral Foams for Insulated Building Elements
- Date: 01.01.2021
- Authors: Patrick Bedarf, Dinorah Martinez Schulte, Ayca Senol Güngör, Etienne Jeoffroy, Prof. Benjamin Dillenburger
- Event: 26th International Conference of the Association for Computer-Aided Architectural Design Research in Asia: Projections (CAADRIA 2021) (virtual)
- Notes: Conference lecture held on March 30, 2021. Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) the conference was conducted virtually.
- Date: 01.01.2019
- Authors: Dr. Ana Anton, Angela Yoo, Patrick Bedarf, Dr. Lex Reiter, Dr. Timothy Wangler, Prof. Benjamin Dillenburger
- Event: 39th Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture: Ubiquity and Autonomy (ACADIA 2019)
- Notes: Conference lecture on October 26, 2019.
- Date: 19.09.2018
- Authors: Iacovina Kontiza, Theodora Spathi, Patrick Bedarf
- Event: 36th Annual Conference Education and research in Computer Aided Architectural Design in Europe (eCAADe 2018)
+41 44 633 28 12